People all over the world are starting to become more aware of how much good they can do by simply choosing reusable water bottles instead of single use ones, made from plastic. One of the most common replacements is the reusable aluminum bottle. But aluminum doesn’t really sound like something that should be inside the human body. So, we started wondering: Are aluminum water bottles safe?
Aluminum vs. the Human Body
Due to its abundance in the environment that surrounds us, scientists began to study the impact of this element on our body. As a general note, aluminum isn’t all that dangerous for the human body, because it doesn’t have a high toxicity level so there are little to no aluminum water bottle health risks there.
However, there is a major concern regarding over-exposure to this element. If someone is exposed to increased amounts of dietary aluminum, this could lead to a series of issues, such as neurotoxicity of the brain’s barrier.
Is it Safe?
The correct answer is: it depends. Most of the concerns are not with the actual aluminum, but with the other materials that are used to make these bottles, which could contain BPA. The best solution is to carefully check the label before buying such a reusable bottle, to make sure that it doesn’t contain BPA and is 100 percent safe for drinking water.
There are metal bottles which are created with a lining that’s meant to limit chemical stains and leeching inside the bottle itself. While there are manufacturers that claim their bottles are tested and are BPA-free, they also won’t reveal any information on the exact materials used to make said bottle, so it’s best to steer clear of such products.
What Is BPA?
There’s a lot of talk about BPA-free aluminum bottles, but what is BPA and what are the health risks it implies?
Short for bisphenol A, BPA is a chemical that’s often used to make food containers. It can also be found in hygiene products, which further exposes the user to a series of risks. The main reason for using BPA is the fact that it can create a stronger plastic.
When it comes to metal water bottles, BPA can be used to make epoxy resins. They are further used in the inner lining of different types of food cans. These resins add durability to the can, and prevent the inner part of the metal from corroding.
There is a lot of medical debate on if and how BPA is harmful for the human body. It is believed that BPA mimics the estrogen functions, and can influence body processes such as growth or cell repair. Since the body is sensitive to any sort of hormonal imbalance, the fact that BPA can modify hormone levels is the main cause of concern.
Benefits of Aluminum Water Bottles
Even with all the controversy that’s been going around with the safety issues implied by such a product, aluminum water bottles do bring a series of benefits, as long as you know how to choose the right one:
- Aluminum water bottles are eco-friendly. And, in the world we live in, recycling has become a very important part of proving you are a responsible citizen. Every plastic-related statistic is no-doubt alarming. Even with recycling, people consume way more plastic that they should, so reducing is actually the best thing you can do for the planet. Aluminum water bottles give you a durable and eco-friendly container that you can use time and time again.
- By using an aluminum water bottle, you are saving money. If you drink the required quantity of water each day, you can save almost $100 each month by turning to a reusable aluminum bottle. While it may not seem like that much money, it’s $1,200 in savings each year. What would you do with an extra hundred bucks each month?
- While you may not have noticed it up until now, aluminum water bottles can influence the liquid’s flavor in a positive way. Bottles that are made using polyethylene and polypropylene have a very distinct odor, which affects the flavor of the water you drink. How often do you drink a liquid that just doesn’t smell nice?
- Aluminum water bottles are durable. Accidentally dropping a plastic or a glass water bottle has obvious consequences, but aluminum is much more shock-resistant and, worst case scenario, the fall will just leave a small dent.
- Compared to other types of bottles, those made from aluminum have very secure caps. There are less chances of spilling the contents if you drop your bottle, and sodas and juices can stay fresh for longer.
Aluminum vs. Stainless Steel
If, for some reason, you fail to find a safe metal water bottle, you have stainless steel as your next best option. Stainless steel bottles are made without chemicals that are normally found in plastic bottles. Since it doesn’t require a liner, a lot of people consider them to be safer than aluminum bottles as well.
However, even stainless steel water bottles have a lot of question marks. They are considered to contain lead, which is toxic. To be completely safe, look for 304 or 18/8 food grade water bottles made from stainless steel. They can be used with water at any temperature, and won’t release any chemicals that could contaminate the water inside them.
Metal water bottles can be safe, as long as you know how to choose the right one. Even when you find an aluminum water bottle which is labeled as being BPA-free, there are always other health factors to consider, such as the materials used to make the liner.
For your absolute safety, look for water bottles that are made by manufacturers who are completely transparent with the materials used to make these products. While sketchy brand will “avoid” mentioning the full list of materials, those that make safe aluminum bottles will always mention how they protect your health.