- A good humidifier can go a long way if you’re having problems with dry air inside your home.
- A number of health complication arise when humidity levels are not in the normal range of 40% to 60%, causing problems in both short and long-term.
- This is an issue that many people disregard and spend tremendous amounts of money on medicine.
- Not breathing air within the normal humidity levels causes a state of discomfort that often stresses people out, causing them to sleep irregularly, affecting their overall mood, causing lack of concentration and so on.
- Fortunately, the problem with the dry air can easily be solved by scouting the market for a humidifier that will ensure your room is kept within the optimal humidity levels.
Advantages of Owning a Humidifier
Just as a high humidity level causes discomfort, mold and a series of health problems, humidity below the normal level attracts issues as well. By purchasing a humidifier, you can make sure that:
- You or any other family member suffering from asthma will have alleviated symptoms.
- Colds and flu won’t be that easily transmitted (since dry air favors airborne viruses to develop).
- You won’t end up having skin problems caused by dry air.
- The moist air inside your home won’t transmit bacteria from one person to another.
- Your sinuses and nasal mucus will have a favorable environment to function properly, thus avoiding that stuffy nose feeling.
- You won’t wake up to a sore throat every morning.
- During the winter, you won’t feel that the inside temperature is lower than it actually is.
- Each time you catch a cold or the flu, your recovery period will be faster.
Warm vs Cool Mist Humidifiers
There is a lot of debate on whether cool mist humidifier is better than the ones that heat up the water. So, in order to see if we can settle the score, let’s review some of the pros and cons of each type of humidifier.
Advantages of Cool Mist Humidifiers
- Because they don’t heat water, cool mist humidifiers use less electricity compared to warm mist humidifiers.
- This is also why they are much safer to use if you have any children or own any pets. Otherwise, it would be very dangerous to leave the humidifier at the reach of children.
- Since heating elements are quite expensive, cool mist humidifiers are much cheaper.
- They are also easier to move around the house, from one room to another, because they come in very portable sizes.
Disadvantages of Cool Mist Humidifiers
- Cool mist humidifiers are more prone to grow mold as they often favor the growth of bacteria within the water tank. There is also a high chance that your humidifier develops fungi unless you clean it on a regular basis.
- Almost every cool mist humidifier operates with the help of an integrated fan. In order to provide the customer with several fan settings, some humidifiers can have a high noise output if you choose to operate the fan at the highest level.
- If a cool mist humidifier doesn’t have the possibility to filter out the minerals inside the water before releasing air into the room, there is a high chance that these minerals will turn into fine white dust. This is dust is very visible on the dark furniture. However, you can prevent this by using distilled water instead of regular tap water.
- Since most cool mist humidifiers require air filters or wicks, people will often turn away from them, as they require extra expenses with purchasing consumables.
Advantages of Warm Mist Humidifiers
- Because warm mist humidifiers function by heating up water, they are automatically a lot healthier. As most of you already know, heated water will prevent any mold or bacteria from developing inside the water tank.
- These humidifiers won’t require any extra expenses because they don’t have any filters that required changing.
- Because of their warm output, they are really pleasant to use during the winter, when cold causes discomfort inside your own home.
- Since it doesn’t have an integrated fan to produce a lot of noise, a warm mist humidifier is a lot quieter and won’t cause any disturbance during your sleep.
Disadvantages of Warm Mist Humidifiers
- First of all, they consume more electricity compared to a cold mist humidifier.
- They are not safe to use around children or animals because of the heated water that circulates inside the device.
- Dimensions: 17.5 x 12.8 x 14.4 inches
- Weight: 8.65 lbs.
- Water tank capacity: 1.5 gallons
- Output capacity: 2.4 gallons
The Holmes cool mist humidifier is currently considered to be one of the products that offer a good price to quality ratio. It features a 1.5-gallon tank which is capable of a 2.4-gallon output. As advertised, this product is great for larger rooms, although customers have reported using it in smaller rooms for better results.
One of the main reasons why the Holmes humidifier is such a success is because the brand itself has a lot of years of experience in producing these types of devices. Holmes is aimed at providing as much comfort as possible through its family of products that are optimized in both style and functionality.
As with most cool mist humidifiers, this particular model also comes with a changeable air filter, treated with antimicrobial protection and baking soda. It comes with a lot of other cool features, such as the FilterCheck filter monitor, the digital comfort control option and 4 levels of comfort settings that will allow you to adjust the speed of the fan and the output level of the mist.
It’s very important to keep in mind that, unlike other humidifiers, this particular model does not have an auto shutdown feature when the water tank runs out of the liquid.
Pros And Cons
- 4 different comfort settings.
- A digital display that will show you the current humidity level in the room.
- The possibility of 48-hours continuous output if the device is set to automatic.
- A filter monitor that’ll always indicate the current status of the humidifier filter.
- Consumables are available online at very affordable prices.
- Will require some extra expenses with the changing the filters.
- The device does not have an automatic shutdown option when the water tank is empty.
- No available options to replace the water tank if it gets broken.
- Will require a can of compressed air to clean the fan.
- Since it is a cool mist humidifier, it will require a lot of cleaning in order to avoid any bacteria from forming inside the water tank.
Features & Benefits
Even if cool mist humidifiers get the job done just like warm mist humidifiers, their functioning systems are very different from one another. Warm mist humidifiers will use heat to boil or vapor water, thus making them more dangerous if you own any pets or have any children. Since cool mist humidifiers don’t require any water to be heated, they automatically consume less energy. The Holmes cool mist humidifier delivers pretty much what you would expect from a unit at this price. There is a high balance between the advantages and disadvantages of purchasing this particular humidifier.
It is not recommended to add any essential oils or medication directly into the water tank. Should you wish to do so, you can purchase an oil diffuser that also acts as a humidifier. The water tank will require periodic cleaning and maintenance, but you should know that it is dishwasher friendly. Due to its compact size, you can easily store the humidifier when you no longer needed. It occupies very little space, so wherever you have a free corner, a shelf inside a drawer or someplace inside your garage, you can hide it away until the next time you need it.
Digital Humidity Monitoring
One a very cool feature of the Holmes cool mist humidifier is that it integrates a digital display that allows you to permanently see the humidity level inside the room. The digital comfort control is capable of monitoring and maintaining humidity at your desired level. It also integrates a programmable timer that can automatically turn the humidifier on and off for a 16 hour period.
Thanks to the way in which the system was conceived, you can have the humidifier turn on and off automatically, depending on your humidity input level. For example, if you set the humidity level to 50%, the device will shut off automatically when it reaches this figure. If the humidity drops below 50%, the humidifier will automatically turn back on if you leave it on “auto” setting.
The first thing that we have to mention about this cool mist humidifier is that it is designated for large rooms. With a single tank filling, the device can run for up to 48 hours. This humidifier will absorb the dry air inside your room and, with the help of a saturated wick filter, it will moisten the air and then release it back into the room in the shape of a fine mist. The system also integrates a fan, and thanks to the filter, the mist will be free from any impurities, sediments or minerals. Although you may come across people who tell you that the filters can be cleaned and reused several times, it is not recommended to do so, as it may affect the unit.
Different Output Settings
Another important feature of this cool mist humidifier is represented by the four different levels of comfort settings. You can leave the humidifier on “auto” setting and let the device do its job. Otherwise, you can choose between three different outputs, from low to medium and high.
This will determine how much mist the device releases into the air. However, you should know that the higher the setting, the more noise the fan will produce. The 1.5-gallon capacity of the water tank promises a coverage of up to 48 hours, although the manufacturer does not specify which is the desired setting for the humidifier to work for this entire period of time.
Cleaning & Maintenance
As with all types of humidifiers, you need to make sure you clean your device on a regular basis. You can use a mix of water and vinegar to clean the water reservoir, once you have safely removed it from the unit. You may also want to clean the fan blades by simply using a can of compressed air. Make sure that you always check the filter level and periodically replace it to make sure that your humidifier will still continue to deliver the best results possible. Normally, you should change the filters every 4 to 6 weeks.
Some people find it tricky to remove the water tank and refill it with water. The Holmes humidifier has conveniently placed a white candle on top of the water tank. You can use this handle to pick up the water tank, removing it from its placeholder. You will have to turn the tank over, unscrew the cap, fill the tank either with regular tap water or distilled water, put the cap back on and take it back to the humidifier. Please note that before placing the tank back in its designated slot, you will have to flip the tank over.
Filter Level Monitoring
Some people think that the main disadvantage of a cool mist humidifier is the fact that you have to change the consumables, such as the air filter. In order to save you money, this particular humidifier always lets you know the current status of the filter. With the help of this feature, you will always see how much life your current filter has left, so you will know when a change is required.
Not only does this help you save money, but it also ensures the best performance that your humidifier can achieve.
What Customers Are Saying
Even if this cool mist humidifier has a 4 out of 5 stars rating, customer opinions are very divided, depending on their own experience with the product.
The first key point that requires some discussion is the customer service experience. Some of the people who purchased this product and ended up having problems with it were very satisfied with how the problem was handled. Customer service responsiveness is sometimes a deal breaker, as no buyers want to be put on an endless waiting list to talk to a representative. On the other hand, some other customers were having trouble contacting a customer service representative and returning the damaged units. If you purchased this product from Amazon, you should know that you have higher chances of being displeased with their customer service.
A very high number of customers are pleased with the durability of this device. The lifespan of this humidifier has managed to keep its buyers happy. Some of them reported that they have been using the very same device for more than 10 years without experiencing any problems.
It is true that the manufacturer advertises this humidifier as being capable of covering even the largest of rooms. However, customers have reported that this humidifier struggles even in medium-sized rooms and you are better off using it in a small bedroom.
The automatic setting of the humidifier is by far the number one feature that all the customers appreciate. The fact that the humidifier automatically turns off when it reaches the desired input level is not only an energy efficient feature, but it is also a sign of a functioning device.
Water Tank Replacement
A very common complaint amongst the buyers of the Holmes humidifier is the fact that you cannot replace a broken water tank. If any damage is brought to the water tank, you will have to replace the entire unit.
If you are looking to purchase a humidifier for less than $100, the Holmes cool mist product should definitely be on your list. The manufacturer has included a wide array of features that will be useful for homeowners when facing the issue of dry air inside their house. Features such as the filter status indicator or the display that keeps you informed on the current humidity level are definitely a plus and make this product stand out from the similar ones available on the market.
However, this product is not all sunshine and rainbows, and some customers have reported faulty of units even within a couple of months after purchase. The fact that there is no replacement for the water tank should you break it, is definitely a turn off for most people and will make them reconsider in purchasing this product a second time. While the automatic setting is a nice feature to have because it turns the device on and off as needed, to reach you the optimal humidity level, it’s also important to note that before that humidity in the room is balanced, the device may be considered a nuisance as it will turn on and off automatically quite often. Even with all the negative reviews, please keep in mind that the Holmes cool mist humidifier comes with a one-year warranty, so you should be able to replace the damaged unit.Click For Price